When a homeowner purchased a property in Springlake, each property has been assessed a fixed amount of Mello-Roos, which is slightly over $20,000 to fund public facilities in the neighborhood. If a homeowner does not pay off this amount in full, the balance is treated as Bond/Loan at a interest rate of 7% to 9% per year even with current super low interest rate. As a result, you will end up paying about $40,000 interest during the whole period (assuming 30 years), plus the original principle ($21,000).
Therefore, paying off the Mello-Roos is the correct way to go if you could afford it (The City only accepts full payment) :)
The following are the steps to pay off Springlake Mello-Roos:
- Contact Adam Devlin at Adam.Devlin@cityofwoodland.org or call him at (530)661-5835.
- In your email or voice mail, clearly provide your address and APN#, which is provided on your tax bill from the county.
- Ask him to provide your Mello-Roos pay-off amount.
- Follow-up with him if you do not receive his call or email within 3 days, usually he is pretty good.
- His address is: Finance Department, 300 First Street, Woodland, CA 95695. You might visit there in case he is not available during this holiday season.
- Upon receiving your request, he will send you an email with an attachment which lists your Mello-Roos pay-off amount.
- You send the check and the attachment document to him as instructed in his email.
- Winter deadline is in January, if you cannot make it this time, you may pay next June.
Enjoy the big saving!